Candidates in the Early Childhood Generalist 4 & 5 Endorsement program will come to know and understand the changes students in grades 4 and 5 will experience – cognitively, behaviorally, socially and emotionally – as they move toward adolescence. Candidates will engage in exploring hands-on pedagogical strategies and activities that they can use to create a need-to-know environment that encourages inquiry, creativity and inventiveness.
The 9-semester credit Early Childhood Generalist 4 & 5 Endorsement program consists of 3 classes that prepare professionally licensed PK-3 teachers to earn a 4th & 5th grade endorsement in the content areas of Language Arts, Science, Math and Social Studies. The classes are designed for practicing licensed professionals and are offered in a variety of formats.
Successful completion of all required coursework
- Praxis 0014 – Must be passed to be recommended for this endorsement.
Consistent with the best practices in education, you will learn through classes conducted in a seminar format and with course work organized in modules. Courses integrate varied learning styles and multiple intelligences.
Technology Oriented to the Educator
You will use Internet technologies to learn, teach, and facilitate networking and communication with your cohort members and your faculty.
Faculty members have extensive experience teaching in K-12 classrooms and higher education. These experiences make the faculty uniquely qualified to combine theory with the reality of practice and provide you with a rich and highly applicable learning experience.
Student Centered, Non-graded Alternative Evaluation
Your progress is evaluated based on predetermined competencies that must be met in order to receive course credit. In addition, you will produce portfolios that promote self-reflection and serve as valuable ongoing resources as you enter the teaching profession.
Only evaluations equivalent to the traditional letter grades of "A" or "B" qualify for credit for the course. Students who require letter grades for tuition reimbursement are asked to complete a letter grade equivalency form available from the program office.
- Makes PK-3 licensed teachers eligible to teach grades 4 & 5 in the content areas of Language Arts, Science, Math and Social Studies.
- Enhances PK-3 licensed career opportunities.
- Financial Aid is available.
- Successful completion of all required coursework
- Pre-requisites - Some pre-requisites may be waived if you pass Praxis 0014. We still require that you take an Ohio History course.
- Please complete the transcript evaluation form.
- Praxis 0014 - Must be passed to be recommended for this endorsement.
Experiences during this course emphasize:
- Development and organization of curriculum that stresses application on concepts and comprehension
- Development and implementation of instruction and assessment methods that integrate within the social studies disciplines and language arts
- Qualitative and quantitative methods to assess student learning
Strategies for assessment of candidate's own demonstration of effective integrated instruction in Language Arts and Social Studies with students in the 4/5 classroom.